SDCC Day 2 - Mattel & DC Comics: A Historic Partnership Panel
You've been a fan of Mattel's popular DC toy lines. Now find out the latest news, sneak peaks, and behind-the-scenes scoop on your favorite Mattel/DC action figures including DC Super Heroes, Justice League Unlimited, The Batman and DC Superfriends. We are bringing you coverage of this panel LIVE.
- Cyborg Superman is coming in later mixes. They are working on case packs.
- Wave 4 Clayface has gumby-type articulation. Catwoman, Nightwing, and Bruce Wayne transform into Batman and Gas Mask Joker, coming out this fall.
- TRU 2-packs with Batman and Robin with Blue Robin as a chase. The packages can be put together to make a diorama.
- They did the white Man-Bat exclusive because the brown one wouldn't show up very well in the packaging.
- DC 6" figures in 2008... Stay tuned.
- The Batman. Green Lanterm (Hal Jordan), Hawkman, Superman and Flash figures for The Batman are coming.
- Justice League Unlimited Target Reflection Doomsday boxset with a reddish Doomsday and TRU Founding Member Die-Cast figure set.
- Gorilla Grodd 3-pack will have the Red Mask and Joker in it. The pack will also have Superman, Flash and Lex Luthor.
- The SDCC Exclusive 3-pack figures for JLU will not be released in single cards.
- The future of JLU? They are listening to the fans. They want to turn this line into the most collector-friendly line available. To that end, they are restructuring the line, and 2008 will be huge.
- DC Super Friends, Luthor, Green Lantern and Aquaman will not be released as heavily as Batman and Superman.
- SF Super Friend in '08 will see a Bat-plane and Aqua-sub along with new figures Cyborg, Hawkman and orange Batman.
- DC, Mattel, and Warner Bros will bring you the DC Universe. Over 3000 characters are now available to Mattel. So what's next? DC Universe Fighting figures. Two 3" Sacle figures with action features. Darkseid vs Superman, Batgirl Vs Joker, Batman vs Two Face, and Green Arrow vs Two-Face.
- DC Universe Classics is an all-new 6" figures line sculpted by the Four Horsemen and includes chases and a BUILD-A-FIGURE. Red Tornado with a chase RT in classic costume. Classic Batman, Penguin with a chase Penguin with a sidekick. Also look for Orion and Demon to round out wave 1. Metamorpho will be the Build-A-Figure in wave 1 that is 25% bigger than a regular figure. Wave 2 has Black Manta, FireStorm, Harley, Superman Blue, and Aquaman. The line will have 5 waves with 5 figures in each wave. Wave 2 of these 6" figures will be at Wizard World Chicago.
- Batman Dark Knight figures are coming in 2008. They will be 5" and 6" figures, and the 6" figures will be done by the Four Horsemen.
Q: Can we get a JLU Hal Jordon?
A: No current plans, but if there is interest they might consider it.
Q: How long will the JLU line last with no cartoon?
A: As long as you want it or buy them.
Q: Does the new agreement with DC allow for Captain Atom or The Question in the JLU line?
A: Could be possible.
Q: Will you make a DC Super Hero Squad?
A: They are looking at some things that will probably be in that style.
Q: Can you make Hanna Barbara Super Friends figures?
A: Yes, it would be possible.
Q: How does this deal with Warner Bros affect DC Direct?
A: DCD is business as usual.
Q: Will figures be easier to find now?
A: Distribution is something Mattel is trying to fix. They are looking at many options to get it corrected. Again, they hear you and are looking at it hard.
Q: When will we see Legion Of Super Heroes?
A: How does the audiance feel about it? (Everyone claps.) The future of this line is still up in the air.
Q: Is the DCU total animated line happening?
A: 2008 has big things coming.
Q: Will figures have holes in their feet to use with stands?
A: They are looking at that for figures in 2008.
Q: Is Giganta for the JLU line possible?
A: The plan was to do a 10" figure of her. That may be something we see.
Q: Will figures ever be sold on Mattel.com?
A: If there is a strong demand for something like that, that is something they will explore in 2008.
Q: Will DC Universe Classics replace DCSH line?
A: Mattel asks if people would like to see DCSH figures that were hard to find put in the DC Classics line? There is a mixed reaction from the crowd.
Q: Will the 2008 JLU line have a new approach?
Q: When will we hear about the new JLU figures?
A: Can't say at this time. Worst case will probably be Toy Fair.
Q: Robin isn't in scale in the Batman line. Why?
A: To be in scale he would have been smaller than Batgirl and would have been very difficult to do.
Q: Will we see a Christopher Reeve Superman figure?
A: No plans at the moment.
Q: Are any vehicles planned for 6" line?
A: Mattel asks audience if they would like to see them. (Everyone claps.)
Q: Will we see the Legion Of Super Heroes in the 6" Classic line?
A: It's possible.
Q: Any new playsets like Hall Of Justice for JLU line?
A: They thought about it a lot. It could be something we see.
Q: Any chance to have an Anniversary DC Super Powers line?
A: It wasn't their tools for those figures, but maybe they could make their own. It might be something they talk about. No real plans at this point.
Q: Will we see Wonder Woman in the Classic 6" line?
Q: Will we see Teen Titans figures?
A: Most likely.
Q: Will we see lots of accessories like trick arrows for Green Arrow in the 6" line?
A: Something they will try to do as much as possible.
Q: What about Secret ID figures?
A: They have talked a lot about that.
Q: Will Barbie will have more DC Heroes characters coming?
Q: JSA with Atom Smasher or teamed-themed wave?
A: They think it's better to have waves varied but will offer minor themed waves like a hero, corresponding villian, and an obscure character.
A: Supergirl and Wonder Woman will be re-released in Barbie and Black Canary.
Q: Another vote for a Christopher Reeve figure!
A: They hear you on the demand for that and will really consider it.
A: Classic Line will have collector-friendly packaging and will be limited to 5 figures per wave for the Build-A-Figure.
Q: Will Nightwing and Robin be sculpted by the Four Horsemen?
A: Yes, at some point.
A: Build-A-Figures will have as much articulation as the regular figures, and all the figures will have articulation where its needed. Figures will not have articulation for the sake of having articulation.
Panel is over.
MORE DC Comics NEWS & UPDATES
Warner Bros. Sets 'Aquaman' For October 5th, 2018 Release
Arrow - Preview Trailer For 'What We Leave Behind' & BTS Promo
DC's Legends Of Tomorrow - 2.08 'The Chicago Way' Preview Images & Synopsis
Arrow - Three New Crossover "Invasion!" Promos
The Flash - 3.09 'The Present' Preview Images & Synopsis