Update 2: Mattel announced that they moved the date in which they have to receive the minimum number of pre-orders from 11/10 to 11/12 at 11:59pm PT.
UPDATE: Mattel posted this update about shipping -
CASTLE GRAYSKULL SHIPPING UDPATE: On Monday 10/16 at around 1pm we confirmed with our Design team that the best estimate of the shipping weight for Castle Grayskull is 20 lbs. For those of you who placed orders for Castle Grayskull before that time, our Customer Service team will contact you to update your order to the new, lower shipping weight. All orders placed after Monday 10/16 at 1pm are estimated at the 20 lb. weight. Please remember that you won’t actually be charged until the product ships in 2013 should production go forward. If the final product weighs less than 20 lbs., we will refund the difference after the product has shipped. If the final weight is more than 20 lbs., you will NOT be charged more.
Masters of the Universe fans, the time has come. Mattel has started to take PRE-ORDERS for their Masters of the Universe Classics Castle Grayskull playset. We gave you all the details available this past weekend during our New York Comic Con coverage but want to recap everything here for you since we understand this would be considered as a major purchase by many.
- The price for this item will be $250 + Shipping and Handling. If you place a pre-order, you are committed to the purchase and will be billed when the item ships. That means you WON'T be billed now. The playset is not slated to see actual release until 12/11/2013, which is when you will be billed.
- When you place your order, the card you used will be “pre-authorized” for a zero dollar amount. This pre-authorization simply verifies that the card is valid. Again you will NOT be charged until the item ships, at which time you’ll be billed for the product, shipping costs, and any taxes/fees. So our recommendation is that if you pre-order now, start saving now.
- Mattel will only go forward with production of this item if they meet their MINIMUM number of required orders by NOVEMBER 10, 2012 11:59 p.m. PT. If they meet the minimum number by the 11/10 date they will continue to take pre-orders until January 3, 2013 11:59 p.m. PT. We don't know what the actual minimum number of orders needed are. All Mattel has been willing to say is they need about the same number as they have for their 2013 MOTUC subscription service, of course we don't know what those numbers are either. Mattel does have a little goal thermometer thingie on their website which is supposed to tell us when the minimum number of orders are met.
- Mattel said at NYCC that they might offer day of sales on this item if they end up going forward with it, but it would be much more expensive that the $250 pre-order price if they did.
- If this item reaches the pre-order goal, there will be NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES, even if the design or features change. If you place a pre-order, you are committed to the purchase and will be billed when the item ships. Should they not reach the minimum pre-order goal, your order will simply be canceled (because there’s no charge until it ships, there’s no refund needed).
So what exactly will you get for your $250. Well we don't know for sure. Mattel released a B-Sheet (blue prints) showing off a general idea of what they have planned along with features they hope to be able to incorporate into it. Since they won't even begin working on this toy until they see if they meet the minimum number of orders by November 10, we won't see anything more specific until that point. So lets recap what we know so far.
- If produced, this will be the largest, most ambitious MOTUC item ever made – the dimensions are expected to be somewhere around 25”h x 26”w x 28”d (subject to change). Now we compared these stats with the old vintage Castle Grayskull and found the dimensions of the old on listed on the box of the old toy. Here is how they compare.
Vintage Castle Grayskull Dimensions: 18"(45.7cm) high and 24" (68.5cm) long
Purposed Dimensions for new Playset: 25”h x 26”w x 28”d (subject to change)
So you can see the new set will be about 7" taller and 2" wider. We couldn't find the depth measurements for the vintage one so we don't know how deeper the new one will be compared to the old one.
- The overall sculpt will be based on the original 1981 prototype (shown below), with the addition of an extra battle ledge, elongated jaw/face, a removable minaret on top of the dome and more! The moat mat shown here with the prototype will likely not be included.
- Just like the vintage toy, it will be a two-sided foldout but they plan to have three levels to show off your MOTUC figures (in scale with most of our 6.5” figures). The vintage set only had two levels.
- Two secret doors – the first, a traditional door that opens out the back, and the second one, a secret brick wall that exits to the outside ledge.
- Trap door leading to the dungeon (of course) that has an opening door, plus “locks” and chains to hold one figure.
- A throne fits most 6.5” MOTUC figures.
- Bat wing jet pack and training device were both cut from the vintage prototype and finally get a chance at production!
- Working elevator like the ‘81 prototype had, but they’ve added back the red skull on top that was cut. The elevator goes to all three levels, not just two levels like vintage toy.
- Real opening Jawbridge just like you remember.
- Have the new Wind Raider? The playset will include an attachment so you can be ready for air-battle at a moment’s notice (and create a complete diorama).
- Secret Orb room is hidden inside the dome.
- Removable ladder to the roof leads to a blaster and the flag of Castle Grayskull.
- Carrying handle is optional for easy transport or clean display.
So there you have it. Again if you want to try and guarantee this playset gets made by Mattel then CLICK HERE to pre-order by NOVEMBER 10, 2012.
You can check out hi-res images of the blue prints below from NYCC in our GALLERY! and we have re-posted here our video of the Mattel panel at New York Comic Con where you can listen to Scott “Toy Guru” Neitlich talk more about it.