Jazwares Inc. has released a new line of figures based on the classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons. The line contains characters on many of the classic shows like The Flintstones, Tom & Jerry, The Jetsons and even CAPPPTAAAIN CAAAAAAAVEMANNN!!!!
Yes, the Neanderthal super hero from the 70ís we all came to love on Saturday mornings has been realized in plastic form thanks to Jazwares. Caveman has been done before in plastic form, most recently by McFarlane Toys in their own Hanna-Barbera line, but that figure didnít have much in the way of articulation so we were interested to see what the figure in this new Jazwares line was like. Check out hi-res images for this figure below in our GALLERY
The packaging Jazwares uses for all the figures in their Hanna-Barbera line is fairly plain and generic looking. Using green and yellow for its basic colors, the cardback features no art and has the name of the figure on the plastic bubble with the Hanna Barbera title on the side. The figure is predominately featured on the front and clearly visible so you can inspect it before buying, which is a good thing since quality control with the paint job on these seems to be a bit hit or miss. The back of the cardback features some art showing some of the various cartoon characters from the line as well as the titles of the shows featured in this line.
- This figure stands about 3Ē tall. The body of the figure has been sculpted in a lumpy fashion to give it the appearance of being covered in fur. It has thin black wire pieces attached to the top of the head and face for the appearance of hair and a mustache. He has an open hole for the mouth and a protruding nose. The back of the figure features an attached rubber type material for its cape. The cape has no real flexibility. Though a pretty simple design, Jazwares does a fairly good job of capturing the figureís likeness with this sculpt.
- The paint job on this figure is pretty plain using a basic shade of brown for the main body and a skin tone for the arms and legs. There were no noticeable errors with my particular figure, but from what I have heard quality control can sometime be an issue with these. The overall feel this figure portrays to me is one you might find with a bathtub toy. Itís not that the paint job is bad per say, just not a lot of detail. Some highlights on the fur to give it a more textured look might have been nice.
- You have to give Jazwares some credit for at least trying to give this figure a fair amount of articulation, but at the same time the quality here is a little on the weak side. The figure has both ankle and wrist hinge joints as well as a swivel joint at the waist ankles and wrists. The arms are attached with swivel hinge joints giving them a fair range of movement. The down side here is the quality of the joints. The ankle and wrist joints are very loose and feel like they could easily break off. The ankle joints, which in my opinion donít really add much to the figureís possibility, are so loose they donít really support the figures weight well. In other words, my figure tends to topple over very easily.
- The figure comes with the characterís signature caveman club. The club itself is pretty basic, but some sculpted lines give it the appearance of wood. The club can only be held in the figureís left hand.
- There are really only a certain number of poses you can put this figure in and not a whole lot you can do with it other than sit it on your shelf. Still just having a figure of such a classic character is pretty cool, and you can pose it with your other super hero figures if you want.
- For my particular figure, the only real quality control issue I have with it is the loose joints at the ankles. This pair of joints doesnít add a lot to the figure overall and makes it very difficult to stand without falling forward. I wish Jazwares had either done away with these joints or done a better job here making sure they remained tight.
- This is certainly not what I would consider a high-end collector figure. The overall look and feel is that of a pretty generic toy which doesnít have a whole lot of detail to it. That being said, itís still cool to have a Captain Caveman figure and probably worth picking up if you are a fan of the character.
Final Grade - 3 out of 5