The folks at Palisades Toys send out word of the following:
Inaugural Cooper Perry Fund Event to be Held at ExploraWorld
Elkridge, MD (October 28, 2004) – Cooper Perry, just three months shy of his third birthday, fell victim to Viral Meningitis, which escalated into Encephalitis. His parents reacted quickly and he moved from his Pediatrician to the Emergency Room to the local Children's Hospital to Miami Children's Hospital over the course of three days. In just under a week, however, he had passed away.
The Cooper Perry Fund has three main goals:
1. Raise awareness of Brain Trauma in children, specifically Meningitis and Encephilitis
2. Raise capital for the funding of Medical Research for the protection and preservation of brain trauma.
3. Create and extend the legacy of Cooper Perry, which is to be remembered as a caring child whose spirit is carried on through the fund's ability to help children and their families.
The Fund will accomplish these goals through two main conduits:
1. Sales of exclusively created items (like action figures and apparel) and donated items (Products and gift certificates as well as collectibles).
2. Special Events (which will have admission fees, sponsorship fees, and items for sale)
The Cooper Perry Fund is a Special Project of the Miami Children's Hospital Foundation, Inc.
The first event is to be held at Explora World in Columbia, Maryldand to honor Cooper’s Third Birthday. It will be on Friday, November 19th, from 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm. “Unlike many fund-rasiers, this event is specifically designed to encourage children to attend,” said Michael Horn, Cooper Perry Fund Spokesperson. “To truly honor Cooper’s spirit and energy, we wanted to create an event that would celebrate his childhood and also encourage parents to bring their children along.” Cooper and his family are Maryland natives, so the event is being held in his original hometown.
A long list of donors have committed to sponsoring the event. Admission is $10.00 per person (over the age of One), and includes pizza and hot dogs as well as beverages for all. Additinoaly, there are both Raffles and Silent Auctions for donated items. “It is amazing how much stuff we have gotten donated in such a short time,” Horn commented. “And a wide variety of items ranging from movie tickets and restaurant certificates to an Apple Ipod and a diamond necklace.”
All proceeds will go to the Cooper Perry Fund.
For more information and directions to Explora World please visit:
# # #
ABOUT THE COOPER PERRY FUND
The Cooper Perry Fund, is a Special Project of the Miami Children’s Hositfal Foundation, Inc. It was created by his family and friends to honor Cooper and to generate awareness and funds for brain protection. All proceeds directly benefit research for neuro-protection at Miami Children’s Hospital. Cooper Perry was just under three years old.