2011 G.I.Joe Con: Renegades Panel
by Jay Cochran
April 01, 2011
The panel for G.I.Joe Renegades at the 2011 G.I.Joe Convention in Orlando Fl has begun. We will be updating this story as the panel goes, so be sure to refresh regularly for the next hour. On panel are Mike Fogel and Jeff Kline.
- The folks start the panel off by assuring fans that G.I.Joe animation will continue. That Hasbro has invested a lot of time and money in their studio to ensure their own destiny. Renegades will go on hiatus after season 1 concludes on the Hub while they start work on the second G.I.Joe movie, but again they want everyone to know G.I.Joe animation will continue into the future.
- Hasbro plays a tribute video to Clement Sauve - a G.I. JOE: RENEGADES' Character Designer and artist who passed away earlier this year after loosing his battle with cancer.
- They show are now going to show us an upcoming episode called "Castle Destro".
SPOILERS: The episode if you couldn't guess by the title features Destro along with some prototype Battle-Android Troopers that Destro has been working on. The B.A.T.S. are more robotic than human looking and bigger than the originals. The faceplates of the new B.A.T.S. look similar to the original ones. The episode also has Scrap-Iron and focuses on the relationship between Destro and Baroness. Destro's mask is more Iron looking and has no opening for the mouth. In the Q&A they indicate they wanted the mask to seem more realistic but could end up looking more like the original version over time.
- Renegades should be released on DVD but no release date has been given. Someone suggested the tribute to Clem should be included as a special feature.
- As for the future of G.I.Joe animated, there is a lot of discussion about where to go with it for the future. Will the movie mirror Renegades or vice-versa. Basically they want something that fires on all thrusters and they love the story that has been developed for Renegades, and Hasbro wants to continue to really tell a great story with all avenues of Joe.
- A kid asked why there is no real guns in G.I.Joe, and the answer is because of saftey rules in place that prevents them from showing real guns for a show geared for kids. They try to get as close to being as realistic as possible.
- Could Cold Slither make an appearance in an episode of Renegades, the answer is keep watching.
MORE GI Joe
Read More GI Joe